The club is looking at resurrecting the Senior Club Championships over the summer and is putting out a call for interested players.
The details of the tournament are open to change where the majority of players want, but at the moment, we’re looking at –
- Five-round open Swiss tournament. (We can put in an all-play-all top six or bottom six section if there’s big ratings gaps, but we’d hope to have enough players that an Open would be competitive for all players)
- Games on Wednesday 2nd, 16th and 30th July, and 13th and 27th August, all at 7:30pm with 1:45 hour time control for all moves. These dates avoid clashes with state exams, any World Cup games and the Glorney. Travelling byes are obviously available for holidays, etc.
- Entry fee of €10 for the first year to fund an engraved perpetual trophy. Entry included in club fees in future years
- Entry is restricted to paid-up St Benildus club members. Juniors (players still in school) may enter provided their May rating is above 1100. Exceptions to this ratings cap may only be made for –
- ……Players involved in the Ireland underage set-ups
- ……Players who have previously won the Junior Club Championship
- ……The top-rated junior under 1100 may be given a special invite if there is an odd number of entrants in the first round.
- Any adult member (i.e. who has left school) may enter.
- Note that the regular club night would not be open on match nights due to a lack of supervision.
- The tournament would be unrated (maybe the main discussion point!)
- Confirmation of the school being available on the nights in question is pending.
- The Frank Scott Shield – the Junior Club Championships – will run in September/October as per usual for all junior players
At the moment, the following players have indicated interest –
Note these are just expressions of interest! The players above aren’t formally confirmed or obliged to enter, but it’s an early indication of the potential strength of the tournament. If you want to add your name, post here or get in touch with myself or your team captain.